of New Jersey
Standard ML of New Jersey (abbreviated SML/NJ) is a compiler for the Standard ML '97 programming language with associated libraries, tools, and documentation. SML/NJ is free, open source software.
DownloadsThe Current release is 110.78. Previous versions are also available through our release history page. A history of the changes to the system is also available.
Subversion accessOur master source repository is kept on a GForge server under Subversion control. We provide anonymous read-only access to the repository, so anyone can download a snapshot of the most recent sources at any time. Instructions are here.
We are currently planning two more releases using the current version numbering scheme: one that will add 64-bit support, and another that will add some additional improvements to type error messages (the order of these releases is unclear). After that we plan to reset the numbering scheme for SML/NJ versions, starting with 4.0 (i.e., 110.81 => 4.0).
- [12/24/14] Version 110.78 is released. See the README for details.
- [08/22/14] Version 110.77 is released. See the README for details.
- [08/23/13] Version 110.76 is released. See the README for details.
- [10/01/12] Version 110.75 is released. See the README for details.
- [01/31/12] Version 110.74 is released. See the README for details.
- Older news
Downloading SML/NJ Software for Unix, Mac OS X, or Windows
- Information on downloading and installing the SML/NJ system and related software.
- A signed installer for Mac OS X Intel is available (smlnj-x86-110.78.pkg) as is an installer for Mac OS X PPC (smlnj-ppc-110.78.dmg).
- A Windows msi installer for Windows XP/Vista/7 is available (smlnj-110.78.msi).
Documentation and Literature
- SML/NJ User's Guide
- SML'97 Basis Library
- SML/NJ FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- SML'97 Conversion Guide
- Top Level Environment Comparison
- Special features of SML/NJ
- Compilation Manager (CM)
- ML Language Processing Tools (ml-ulex and ml-antl)
- Concurrent ML
- SML/NJ-C foreign function interface
- comp.lang.ml FAQ
- Compiler notes
- Bugs can be reported online using our PHP bug form.
- You can also submit bug reports by email to using the bug report form.
- A legacy record of known bugs and the bug history for SML/NJ are available via the bugs web page.
- Recent submissions should appear in the GForge tracker .
- Pointers to programming resources (libraries, tools, example code), projects using SML/NJ, other SML implementations, related compiler research work, and miscellaneous SML links. The programming resources links will soon move to a separate page of their own.
- Picture of current cast of people involved in the project.
This project is based upon work supported in part by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. CNS-0454136.
Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Send your comments to .
Copyright © 2004-2013, the SML/NJ Fellowship.